How to make a Butter Board - Eats and Treats by Tania Rebello
TDT | Manama
The Daily Tribune – www.newsofbahrain.com
• One wooden cutting board or serving plate
• One butter knife MAIN INGREDIENTS
• 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
• 2 tsp flakey salt
• 1 lemon for zesting
• 2 tbsp edible dried flowers (optional)
HONEY CORIANDER TOPPING OPTION
• 1 tbsp honey
• 1/4 cup fresh mint, half as leaves, half chiffonade cut
• 1 tsp freshly ground coriander
• 1/8 tsp freshly ground cardamom
• 1 sprig of basil scattered as you please CILANTRO + CHILIES TOPPING OPTION
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped • 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
• 1/8 small red onion sliced in slivers
• 2 tbsp chilli oil
ROASTED GARLIC + ROSEMARY TOPPING OPTION
• 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves
• Three sprigs of fresh rosemary toasted in the oven for 4 minutes at 300°F
• fresh cracked black pepper as needed
FIGS + MINT TOPPING OPTION
• 5 large fresh figs chopped
• 1 tbsp honey • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 chiffonade cut,
1/2 in leaves
1. Mix the butter in a bowl to soften it;
it should be spreadable like peanut butter but not melted.
Layer it in swirls on the serving board.
2. Liberally sprinkle the butter with flakey salt and lemon zest.
3. Depending on which toppings you have chosen, layer each item on the butter so that everything is evenly spread out.
Feel free to get creative here!
4. Sprinkle with edible flowers to decorate.
Serve with warm, crusty bread (preferably sourdough or rich whole-wheat bread).