*** DR Congo Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases | THE DAILY TRIBUNE | KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN

DR Congo Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

 

Death toll reaches 2,378 as WHO warns the epidemic remains far from under control

More than 5,000 Ebola cases have been recorded in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), with the country facing what is now its worst outbreak of the disease, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC).

The agency said Wednesday that the current outbreak has resulted in 2,378 deaths among 5,021 confirmed cases.

The outbreak, the DRC's 17th, was officially declared on May 15, although health authorities believe the virus had already been spreading for several weeks.

The outbreak has affected areas in northern and eastern DRC where limited state presence, weak health infrastructure and longstanding insecurity have complicated efforts to contain the disease.

The previous deadliest Ebola outbreak in the country, which lasted from 2018 to 2020, killed 2,299 people among 3,381 confirmed cases, according to World Health Organization (WHO) figures based on Congolese data.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned Tuesday that the outbreak remains a serious concern.

"The epidemic is far from being under control," Tedros said, adding that the risk of further national and international spread remains high.

Ebola has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa over the past five decades.

The current outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain, for which there is no approved vaccine or specific treatment. Clinical trials are currently under way.

The response has faced challenges including criticism over delays and coordination, as well as mistrust within some affected communities.

Africa CDC said difficulties persist, including refusals to undergo testing and resistance from some communities, hampering surveillance and disease-control efforts.

The WHO said efforts were under way to strengthen the response and reach communities affected by the virus. The European Union also announced Tuesday that it would provide testing kits worth €2.5 million ($2.9 million) to support the response.