*** 11 People killed After U.S. Hits Three Suspected Drug-Trafficking Boats | THE DAILY TRIBUNE | KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN

11 People killed After U.S. Hits Three Suspected Drug-Trafficking Boats

Email: online@newsofbahrain.com

Washington: The United States military reported that it launched attacks on three small vessels thought to be involved in drug trafficking, resulting in the deaths of 11 people, according to official statements. The operations took place late Monday in international waters of the eastern Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, the U.S. Southern Command said.

Military officials said two of the boats were struck off the coast in the eastern Pacific, with four occupants dying on each. A third, smaller vessel in the Caribbean was also hit, where three people on board were killed. Authorities did not report any U.S. casualties.

The latest strikes are part of an ongoing military initiative, known as Operation Southern Spear, that began in September. According to military figures, more than 40 similar operations have been conducted in sea lanes frequently used by traffickers, resulting in well over a hundred fatalities.

U.S. officials have labelled those targeted as “narco-terrorists,” arguing that the actions are necessary to disrupt shipment routes used by criminal networks. Videos posted by Southern Command show the affected vessels before and after the strikes, but no confirmation has been released proving the boats were carrying drugs.

Human rights advocates have questioned the legal basis for these strikes, especially since they are conducted in international waters without clear evidence linking those killed to large-scale trafficking. Some legal experts argue lethal force should be a last resort and express concern over due process and compliance with international law.

The strikes occur amidst a broader U.S. strategy to counter narcotics and organized criminal networks in the Western Hemisphere. They also coincide with shifting naval deployments, as some assets previously focused on maritime drug operations are being moved to other global hotspots.

Photo credit: U.S. Southern Command