Strong response call
Saudi Arabia has called for a swift response to the threat to energy supplies, two days after attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman. “There must be a rapid and decisive response to the threat of energy supply, market stability and consumer confidence, which are posed by recent terrorist acts in both the Arabian Sea and the Arabian Gulf, against the major global energy supply chains,” Energy Minister Khalid Al Falih said at a G20 meeting in Japan.
His comments came as the UAE foreign minister Shaikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan said the Gulf of Oman attacks and an attack last month on four tankers off the Emirates’ coast were carried out by a state-actor using sophisticated technology. GCC Secretary-General Dr. Abdullatif Al Zayani added to the chorus of international condemnation yesterday, describing the attacks as a dangerous escalation and violation of international laws.
He also said that it was a direct threat to maritime safety and the world’s energy supply. He said that “this attack is a terrorist act that calls for the international community to respond quickly and decisively to protect international shipping lines in this vital region of the world.”
US President Donald Trump said the attack had Iran “written all over it” and Saudi Arabia said it agreed with Washington’s initial assessment that Tehran was responsible. On Friday, the US military released video footage it said suggested that Iran wanted to hide evidence that it was behind the attacks.