Death toll rises to four | THE DAILY TRIBUNE | KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN

Death toll rises to four

Four people have died while a few remain critical at the Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC) after a building collapsed following a gas cylinder blast in Salmaniya area on Tuesday evening.

Three bodies were recovered from the rubbles while the fourth man died at SMC, where he was transported along with other injured. The two deceased were identified as Joynal Ismail and Jakir, both Bangladeshi nationals. The Civil Defence teams continued their search and rescue operations in the heap of rubble yesterday morning as well.

The Civil Defence said that 11 vehicles, 15 police patrols, 60 personnel, and 19 ambulances had been dispatched to the scene of the collapse to assist with the rescue operations. Prime Minister His Royal Highness Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa has ordered an investigation into the collapse of the building and directed the ministries of Interior, Labour and Social Development, Health, Works, Municipality Affairs and Urban Planning to submit immediate reports.

HRH the Premier has also directed the Health Ministry to set up a medical team involving different public hospitals to provide the required treatment for the injured. Meanwhile, Capital Governorate Chief Prosecutor Nawaf Al Awadhi said based on a notification from the competent security department received yesterday, the Public Prosecution Office has sent teams of experts from the Criminal Investigation Department, Civil Defence Directorate, Crime Scene Investigation Office and a vocational safety expert to prepare technical reports on the incident.

Al Awadhi said the owner of the collapsed building had been questioned by the Public Prosecution about the charges raised against him, saying it has ordered detaining him seven days pending investigation. He added the case will be brought to the criminal courts after the completion of the investigation, hearing the injured and studying the technical reports. 

 

  • UAE Exchange