Trump: US “may still strike Iran” after near-military approval
US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the United States may still carry out a military strike on Iran, adding that he was close to approving action earlier in the day before deciding to hold off.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said he was “an hour away” from authorising a strike.
“I was an hour away. We were all set to go… it would have been happening right now,” he said, when asked how close he had been to taking military action.
On Iran’s nuclear ambitions, he said Washington would not allow the country to obtain a nuclear weapon.
“I have to do it — because I’m not going to let the world be blown up on my watch. It’s not going to happen,” Trump said, adding that Iran would be given what he described as a “limited period of time” to reach an agreement.
“There’s no question in my mind that they’d use it,” he said, referring to nuclear weapons, while describing Iranian leadership as “extremely radicalized.”
His comments come amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran, with US officials continuing to press for a diplomatic resolution while maintaining pressure on Iran’s nuclear programme.
Related Posts
