Eats & Treats by Tania Rebello - National Day Of Guacamole!
On the 16th of September, we celebrate a renowned snack that has made its way to the tables of a multitude.
Guacamole is a simple to prepare appetizer and side dish that consists of fresh, healthy and tasty ingredients.
Avocado is the core ingredient containing healthy unsaturated fats and omega 3 that aids in heart health. Binging on a big bowl of guacamole with tortilla chips is a guilt-free pleasure.
It also makes an excellent topping for tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, or a side for grilled salmon or shrimps and baked chicken.
Some prefer a smooth guacamole while others like it chunky. It does not matter which side you are on, consuming this rich and delicious dish is a win-win.
Guacamole is originally Mexican and the name is derived from two Aztec Nahuatl words- ahuaca+molli.
Although this dish has existed for hundreds of years, the consumption of guacamole around the world actually became popular in the 1990s after the California Avocado Commission hired a PR firm to educate the public about the fruit.
NFL players were asked to share their avocado recipes to a wide audience during the Super Bowl season and this is how guacamole rose to fame.
This is the simplest recipe for you to try at home. Make it for your friends and family.
• 2 ripe avocados
• ¼ tsp of salt (taste and add more later if needed)
• 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
• 1 jalapeno chopped finely, add one more if you like spicy guacamole
• 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
• A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
• ½ ripe tomato, chopped finely
1. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado from the skin into a large bowl and mash using a fork. Leave it a bit chunky for good texture. Quickly add the salt, lime juice and toss to combine. This protects the avocado from turning brown due to oxidization.
2. Mix in all the remaining ingredients with the avocado, taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Some important tips:
• Guacamole is best when freshly prepared and consumed immediately.
• For the best guacamole, use ripe and soft avocados.
• Use fresh ingredients for the best results.