Coquard clinches opening stage
 
, Posted on 14-Feb-2018


Coquard clinches opening stage

MuscatBryan Coquard (Vital Concept) delivered a fine sprint to win stage 1 of the Tour of Oman in a bunch finish ahead of Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) and Giacomo Nizzolo (Trek-Segafredo) at Sultan Qaboos University.

“I’m very happy to win in Oman, because it’s my first big race of the season,” Coquard said. “It’s a new team, a new project and my first win - the second win of the team for the season. It’s very good, I’m very happy.”

Coquard has endured a trying 2018 since switching from Direct Energie to Jerome Pineau’s start-up squad during the off-season. 

Before the Frenchman had even turned a pedal in anger in his new colours, he learned that Vital Concept had been overlooked for wildcard invitations to the Tour de France and Paris-Nice, and he then fell maddeningly short of victory during his first two outings at the Sharjah Tour and Etoile de Bessèges.

On the eve of the Tour of Oman, however, Coquard was bullish about his prospects and the quality of his teammates, and such optimism seemed justified on the evidence of stage 1. 

Ably assisted by a lead-out train where Kris Boeckmans and Kevin Reza featured prominently, Coquard made no mistake in the finishing straight, out-pacing Cavendish, Nizzolo and Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) to claim his first win of the year and the second of Vital Concept’s short existence to date.

Timing was of the essence in the finishing straight, where the fast men had to battle into a headwind, and Coquard chose his moment well to emerge a clear winner ahead of Cavendish and Nizzolo.

“It was a very good lead-out. We have a lot of good riders for the lead-out and for the sprint in Oman. It’s very good. I don’t know, with maybe 3km, my team was on the front, and after it was a very good sprint,” Coquard said. 

Cyclingnews


Related News

Cort sprints to victory
Feb 17

Cort sprints to victory

Muscat : Magnus Cort (Astana) sprinted to victory on stage 4 of the Tour of Oman, beating Bahrain-Merida’s Giovanni Visconti and Alberto Bettiol (BMC) to the line at the Ministry of Tourism. The stage included three laps over the stiff climb of Al Jabal Street, which meant that a reduced peloton contested...

Read More
RBR would dominate  with Mercedes
Feb 12

RBR would dominate with Mercedes

London : Max Verstappen believes Red Bull would be dominating Formula 1 if it had Mercedes engines. Though Renault powered Red Bull to four straight F1 championships with Sebastian Vettel from 2010-13, it has been on the back foot compared to Mercedes in particular since the start of the current hybrid V6...

Read More
Groenewegen claims stage 1
Feb 07

Groenewegen claims stage 1

Dubai : Dylan Groenewegen (LottoNL-Jumbo) claimed stage 1 of the Dubai Tour ahead of Magnus Cort (Astana) and Elia Viviani (Quick-Step Floors). The Dutchman hit the front inside the final 150 meters, and while the likes of Marcel Kittel (Katusha-Alpecin), Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) and Alexander Kristoff...

Read More
‘Grid kids’ to replace F1 ‘grid girls’
Feb 06

‘Grid kids’ to replace F1 ‘grid girls’

London : Formula 1 is to replace ‘grid girls’ with a new programme called ‘grid kids’ this season. F1 bosses plan to use budding racing drivers “to make the pre-race ceremony more relevant and interesting for fans, especially the younger ones”. The sport said last week it...

Read More
My future depends on Alonso : Norris
Feb 06

My future depends on Alonso : Norris

London : Lando Norris says the timing of his opportunity to make his Formula 1 debut with McLaren hinges on how long Fernando Alonso stays with the team. Norris, who will fulfil reserve driver duties for McLaren in F1 this year, won the European Formula 3 championship and will race in F2 for Carlin in...

Read More
Wolff ‘bothered’ by Esteben Ocon, Perez clashes
Feb 05

Wolff ‘bothered’ by Esteben Ocon, Perez clashes

London : Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff says he was ‘bothered’ by clashes between junior driver Esteban Ocon and his Force India Formula 1 team-mate Sergio Perez in 2017. Discord between Perez and Mercedes protege Ocon - who had moved to Force India for his first full F1 season after a part-year...

Read More
I’m facing make or break decision
Feb 01

I’m facing make or break decision

London : While Red Bull extended Max Verstappen’s deal in late 2017, it has agreed to give Daniel Ricciardo time to assess his options ahead of a season in which most top drivers’ contracts expire and there could be substantial movement in the driver market. Now 28 and about to begin his seventh full...

Read More
Bottas doubted himself during 2017 slump
Jan 31

Bottas doubted himself during 2017 slump

London : Valtteri Bottas admits he was overthinking and starting to drive unnaturally when his first Formula 1 season with Mercedes began to go awry. While team-mate Lewis Hamilton took control of the championship battle with four wins from five grands prix after last year’s summer break, Bottas started...

Read More
Alonso ‘a little bit scared’
Jan 30

Alonso ‘a little bit scared’

London : Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso says he was “a little bit scared” when he suffered two brake failures at close to 200mph on his debut at the Daytona 24 Hours. The Spaniard’s race was hit by multiple problems and he finished 38th with co-drivers Lando Norris and Phil...

Read More