*** Sabalenka poised to ‘go for it’ at Roland Garros | THE DAILY TRIBUNE | KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN

Sabalenka poised to ‘go for it’ at Roland Garros

AFP | Paris

Email: mail@newsofbahrain.com

Aryna Sabalenka said yesterday she is ready, in body and mind, to conquer clay and take a first Roland Garros title.

“I know how to play on clay, and it’s all about being physically and mentally healthy, to go for it, and to be ready to fight,” she said at the media day ahead of the tournament’s start on Sunday.

Sabalenka, the top-ranked woman for approaching two years, has only won three titles on clay, all in Madrid. Her best showing in the clay-court Grand Slam was last year when she lost the final in three sets to Coco Gauff.

“All I can say is that I’m ready to fight, and, of course, I hope to do a little bit better than I did last year,” said the Belarusian, who turned 28 earlier in May.

Earlier this spring, Sabalenka completed a victorious ‘sunshine double’ on the hard courts at Indian Wells and Miami, before losing momentum on clay.

At Madrid, she lost in the quarter-finals to Hailey Baptiste. In Rome, she only won one match before falling to Sorana Cirstea.

“I struggled the beginning of the clay season physically, to be honest,” she said yesterday. “Right now I feel 100 percent. “I’m healed everywhere and I’m ready to go.”

Asked if she would be satisfied if she did not win, Sabalenka’s answer showed a No. 1’s mindset.

“I think all of us are here just for one reason, you know.”

Sabalenka said that her improved consistency is not only the product of physical health but also of overcoming her tendency to melt down mentally on court when things didn’t go her way.