Saudi prince freed in $1bn deal: official
 
, Posted on 30-Nov-2017


Saudi prince  freed in $1bn  deal: official

RiyadhSenior Saudi Arabian prince Miteb bin Abdullah has been freed after agreeing to pay over $1 billion to settle corruption allegations against him, a Saudi official said on Wednesday.

Miteb, 65, son of the late King Abdullah and former head of the elite National Guard, was among dozens of royal family members, high officials and senior businessmen rounded up this month in a crackdown on graft. 

The official, who is involved in the crackdown and spoke on condition of anonymity, said Miteb was released on Tuesday after reaching “an acceptable settlement agreement”. The official said he believed the agreed sum to be the equivalent of over $1 billion.

“It is understood that the settlement included admitting corruption involving known cases,” the official said, without giving details.

According to the official, Prince Miteb was accused of embezzlement, hiring ghost employees and awarding contracts to his own firms, including a deal for walkie talkies and bulletproof military gear.Prince Miteb is the first senior figure known to be released among those detained. Around 200 people in total have been questioned in the crackdown, authorities said earlier this month.

The allegations, which include kickbacks, inflating government contracts, extortion and bribery, could not be independently verified.

Saudi authorities, who estimate they could eventually recover around $100 billion of illicit funds, have been working on reaching agreements with suspects detained at Riyadh’s luxurious Ritz Carlton hotel, asking them to hand over assets and cash in return for their freedom.

Apart from Miteb, the Saudi official said that at least three other suspects had finalised settlement agreements and that the public prosecutor had decided to release several individuals.

The prosecutor has decided to put at least five people on trial, the official said without disclosing their identities.

The fate of billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding and one of Saudi Arabia’s most prominent international businessmen, was not known.

Two Saudi sources told Reuters that Prince Alwaleed has so far refused to reach a settlement and had asked for access to his lawyer in order to fight allegations against him.

Relatives, his lawyer and officials in his office could not be contacted to comment. 

Reuters


Related News

Duterte stops sending workers to Kuwait
Jan 20

Duterte stops sending workers to Kuwait

Manila : The Philippines suspended sending workers to Kuwait yesterday, a day after President Rodrigo Duterte said abuse by employers there had driven several domestic helpers to suicide. Kuwait expressed surprise at the move and said it was in touch with Manila to try to resolve the issue. Philippine...

Read More
In Oman, an ancient mediation receives a makeover
Jan 20

In Oman, an ancient mediation receives a makeover

Omani Mahmoud bin Yousef Temtemi found himself in a pastoral predicament this autumn -- his neighbour’s flock of sheep had overrun his farm and gobbled up his crops, threatening his income. Rather than make a scene or turn to the police, Temtemi chose to raise his complaint in Omani tradition: through the local...

Read More
Putin takes icy plunge
Jan 20

Putin takes icy plunge

Moscow : Russian President Vladimir Putin along with millions of Orthodox believers braved freezing temperatures to take a barechested plunge into icy water in a traditional ritual marking the baptism of Jesus. Surrounded by Orthodox priests and glittering religious icons, and with the temperature hovering...

Read More
Melted nuclear fuel seen  inside Fukushima reactor
Jan 20

Melted nuclear fuel seen inside Fukushima reactor

Tokyo : The operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant says a long telescopic probe has successfully captured images of some melted fuel inside one of its three damaged reactors, providing crucial information for its cleanup. Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Friday the fishing rod-like device...

Read More
Jeddah Tower works get a  $165m boost
Jan 20

Jeddah Tower works get a $165m boost

Dubai : The world’s tallest skyscraper in Jeddah will soon begin its infrastructure works with the signing of a 620 million riyal ($165 million) contract by real estate developers.  Once completed, the massive mixed-use tower will rise over a kilometre (3,281 feet) dwarfing the Burj Khalifa, which is...

Read More
UNRWA cries foul over US aid denial
Jan 20

UNRWA cries foul over US aid denial

Jerusalem : The head of the United Nations agency for Palestinians said yesterday the US decision to freeze of tens of millions of dollars in aid resulted from diplomatic disputes rather than the agency’s performance. The US State Department this week froze two planned payments worth more than $100 million...

Read More
Iraqi president vowes full support for war on terror
Jan 19

Iraqi president vowes full support for war on terror

Baghdad : Iraqi President yesterday vowed full support and solidarity for Arab nations in the ongoing fight against terrorism.  Acknowledging the efforts exerted to bring peace in the region, Fuad Masum said, “Iraq is continuing its efforts to fight terrorism, dry up its sources and confront all...

Read More
Giant lift removes skidded plane
Jan 19

Giant lift removes skidded plane

Trabzon : Turkish authorities are using a large crane to lift a passenger plane that skidded off a runway in northern Turkey and stopped on the side of a slope just meters away from the Black Sea. The Pegasus Airlines Boeing 737-800, with 168 people on board, overshot the runway while landing at Trabzon Airport...

Read More
UAE jets destroy Houthi command centre
Jan 19

UAE jets destroy Houthi command centre

Hais, Yemen : UAE jets have destroyed a Houthi militia command and communication centre in western Yemen. The aircraft struck the “strategically located” base that was used to store weapons and ammunitions in Hais district of Taiz province, the UAE state new agency WAM reported. Hais is about 15...

Read More
 Saudi King orders to deposit $ 2 billion in CBY
Jan 17

Saudi King orders to deposit $ 2 billion in CBY

Riyadh : Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has issued a directive to transfer a $2 billion deposit to the Central Bank of Yemen, in continuation of the Kingdom’s support of the Yemeni people, taking the total amount given by the Kingdom to the Central Bank of Yemen (CBY) to $3...

Read More