Saudi prince freed in $1bn deal: official
 
, Posted on 30-Nov-2017


Saudi prince  freed in $1bn  deal: official

RiyadhSenior Saudi Arabian prince Miteb bin Abdullah has been freed after agreeing to pay over $1 billion to settle corruption allegations against him, a Saudi official said on Wednesday.

Miteb, 65, son of the late King Abdullah and former head of the elite National Guard, was among dozens of royal family members, high officials and senior businessmen rounded up this month in a crackdown on graft. 

The official, who is involved in the crackdown and spoke on condition of anonymity, said Miteb was released on Tuesday after reaching “an acceptable settlement agreement”. The official said he believed the agreed sum to be the equivalent of over $1 billion.

“It is understood that the settlement included admitting corruption involving known cases,” the official said, without giving details.

According to the official, Prince Miteb was accused of embezzlement, hiring ghost employees and awarding contracts to his own firms, including a deal for walkie talkies and bulletproof military gear.Prince Miteb is the first senior figure known to be released among those detained. Around 200 people in total have been questioned in the crackdown, authorities said earlier this month.

The allegations, which include kickbacks, inflating government contracts, extortion and bribery, could not be independently verified.

Saudi authorities, who estimate they could eventually recover around $100 billion of illicit funds, have been working on reaching agreements with suspects detained at Riyadh’s luxurious Ritz Carlton hotel, asking them to hand over assets and cash in return for their freedom.

Apart from Miteb, the Saudi official said that at least three other suspects had finalised settlement agreements and that the public prosecutor had decided to release several individuals.

The prosecutor has decided to put at least five people on trial, the official said without disclosing their identities.

The fate of billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding and one of Saudi Arabia’s most prominent international businessmen, was not known.

Two Saudi sources told Reuters that Prince Alwaleed has so far refused to reach a settlement and had asked for access to his lawyer in order to fight allegations against him.

Relatives, his lawyer and officials in his office could not be contacted to comment. 

Reuters


Related News

Saudi king approves $19bn stimulus
Dec 15

Saudi king approves $19bn stimulus

Riyadh : Saudi Arabia’s King Salman approved 72billion riyals ($19.2bn) worth of measures to stimulate growth in the private sector. The measures include residential housing loans worth 21.3bn riyals, a 10bn riyal fund to support economic projects, and 1.5bn riyals to support distressed companies, the...

Read More
Tillerson offers North Korea talks
Dec 14

Tillerson offers North Korea talks

Washington : Washington’s top diplomat Tuesday expressed willingness to talk with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) without precondition, indicating a softening of the hawkish U.S. stance though the White House publicly remained unrelenting. “We’re ready to have the first...

Read More
Saudi King Salman criticises  Trump’s Jerusalem decision
Dec 14

Saudi King Salman criticises Trump’s Jerusalem decision

Riyadh : Palestinians have the right to Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem as their capital, Saudi King and Custodian of  the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud said yesterday, echoing calls at the Islamic summit in Istanbul. “The kingdom has called for a political solution to resolve...

Read More
Jerusalem ‘should be Palestinian capital’
Dec 14

Jerusalem ‘should be Palestinian capital’

Istanbul : Leaders from the world’s main Pan-Islamic body yesterday urged the international community to recognise East Jerusalem as the Palestinian capital after US President Donald Trump declared Jerusalem to be the capital of Israel. The emergency summit of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)...

Read More
Saudi Arabia lifts cinema ban
Dec 12

Saudi Arabia lifts cinema ban

Riyadh : Saudi Arabia lifted a 35-year-old ban on cinemas yesterday, prompting celebrations from film fans, directors and movie chains eyeing the last untapped mass market in the Middle East. The first theatres could start showing films as early as March, the government said, part of a liberalising reform drive...

Read More
Kuwait forms  new Cabinet
Dec 12

Kuwait forms new Cabinet

Kuwait City : Kuwait formed a new cabinet yesterday, led by Sheikh Jaber Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah. Kuwaiti Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah met Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah at Sief Palace yesterday, and the Prime Minister presented a list of new ministers. The Amir then...

Read More
Blast in Times Square
Dec 12

Blast in Times Square

New York : A 27-year-old Bangladeshi national has been taken into custody with serious injuries after a suspected pipe bomb he was carrying malfunctioned and exploded prematurely inside a Midtown Manhattan subway station Monday morning.   Commuters said they felt a blast in the Subway tunnels...

Read More
China calls for caution on issues concerning status of Jerusalem
Dec 11

China calls for caution on issues concerning status of Jerusalem

Beijing : China said that the status of Jerusalem is sensitive and complicated, and urged all parties concerned to exercise caution for peace and tranquillity in the Middle East. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang made the remarks when asked to comment on U.S. intention to recognize Jerusalem as...

Read More
Nuke war just a  ‘tantrum away’: Nobel winners
Dec 11

Nuke war just a ‘tantrum away’: Nobel winners

Oslo, Norway : The winners of the Nobel Peace Prize, the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), yesterday warned mankind’s destruction is just one “impulsive tantrum away” as the United States and North Korea exchange warlike threats over the nation’s nuclear...

Read More
Arab states urge US to abandon Jerusalem move
Dec 11

Arab states urge US to abandon Jerusalem move

Cairo : Arab foreign ministers yesterday urged the United States to abandon its decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, saying the move would increase violence throughout the region. The announcement by President Donald Trump on Wednesday was a “dangerous violation of international...

Read More