Honda 'committed' to F1, says sport's CEO
 
, Posted on 13-Sep-2017


Honda 'committed' to F1, says sport's CEO

Singapore : Formula One chief Chase Carey said on Wednesday he was confident that Honda was in F1 for the long haul as reports said McLaren was about to confirm its split with the Japanese engine-maker.

Carey met Honda executives at this month's Italian Grand Prix and said they seemed excited about the future of Formula One, despite the company's troubled return to the sport.

McLaren are strongly rumoured to be on the verge of going with Renault engines rather than Honda's, whose power units have been notoriously unreliable and under-powered.

Reports say the Japanese manufacturer, which returned to F1 in 2015, is about to join forces with Toro Rosso, the secondary team of multiple world champions Red Bull.

"Honda's a very important partner," Carey said at the All That Matters conference in Singapore, ahead of Sunday's grand prix in the city.

"I've had meetings with Honda executives around Monza. They seemed excited about where we're going with the sport," he said. 

"I'm not going to speak for Honda. All I can say is, for us they seem committed to the future, seem excited by the future, seem excited about where we're going with the sport."

Carey also said he supported a revamp of F1's system of penalties, after laughable scenes in Italy when nine drivers were sanctioned a total of 150 grid places, mainly for technical infractions.

"The penalty structure clearly has gotten to a place that nobody says is functioning the way we like, when we had the better part or half the grid with some sort of penalty that nobody could understand at Monza," Carey said.

"Technology is an important part of it but you don't want it to be a sport about engineering first and foremost," he added. "You want it to be a sport about drivers and great competition that utilises state-of-the-art competition."

AFP


Related News

Hamilton misses sponsor event but back on social media
Jan 18

Hamilton misses sponsor event but back on social media

London : Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton pulled out of his first sponsor engagement of the year on Tuesday but reappeared on social media after wiping his accounts clean over the Christmas break. A Mercedes spokesman said the 33-year-old Briton, who won his fourth title last year, had been feeling...

Read More
Richie Porte downplays form
Jan 14

Richie Porte downplays form

London : For the last two seasons running, Richie Porte’s year was ended early due to injury. In 2017, Porte recovered from a broken shoulder blade to dominate the Tour Down Under with two stage wins and a 48-second overall winning margin. In 2018, Porte returns to Adelaide with BMC Racing Team, and is...

Read More
Pressure is on Ocon in 2018:
Jan 12

Pressure is on Ocon in 2018:

London : Sergio Perez says the pressure will be on his Force India team-mate Esteban Ocon in 2018 given the way he impressed in his first full Formula 1 campaign. Ocon, who joined Force India with just nine races of experience with Manor from 2016, scored points in 18 of last year’s 20 grands prix and...

Read More
Kvyat secures Ferrari role
Jan 11

Kvyat secures Ferrari role

London : Daniil Kvyat will remain involved in Formula 1 as a Ferrari development driver in 2018. Kvyat had been looking to retain links with F1 after being dropped by Toro Rosso before the end of last season following some disappointing performances. He approached Williams to discuss the idea of a race seat,...

Read More
Magnussen felt ‘negative pressure’ before Haas
Jan 10

Magnussen felt ‘negative pressure’ before Haas

London : Kevin Magnussen says he felt “negative pressure” during his early years in Formula 1 with McLaren and Renault, and that joining Haas has helped rebuild his confidence. Magnussen began his F1 career with a podium finish for McLaren on his debut in 2014, but spent ‘15 mostly on the...

Read More
I’ve proved F1 is possible without money: Gasly
Jan 08

I’ve proved F1 is possible without money: Gasly

London : Toro Rosso driver Pierre Gasly says his Formula 1 break should encourage young drivers by showing it is not “all about money”. The 21-year-old Frenchman gets his first full F1 campaign with Red Bull’s junior outfit Toro Rosso this year. He joined the Red Bull programme after winning...

Read More
Rolland to target Tour de France, Vuelta in 2018
Jan 07

Rolland to target Tour de France, Vuelta in 2018

London : Pierre Rolland has revealed his 2018 race calendar, writing on Facebook that he’ll start his third year with Slipstream’s EF Education First-Drapac program at the Abu Dhabi Tour in February. Rolland said the focus of his schedule will be to remain fresh for the second half of the season,...

Read More
Max matured a lot, says Daniel Ricciardo
Jan 06

Max matured a lot, says Daniel Ricciardo

London : Daniel Ricciardo says his Red Bull Formula 1 team-mate Max Verstappen has “matured a lot” over the past year and now has more respect for his rivals. Ricciardo finished 32 points clear of Verstappen in the drivers’ standings in 2017, but the latter suffered more reliability problems,...

Read More
I’m going to the  Giro to win again
Jan 05

I’m going to the Giro to win again

Berlin : Tom Dumoulin has confirmed that he will target the defence of his Giro d’Italia crown in 2018. The 2017 race winner confirmed the news on stage at the Team Sunweb presentation in Berlin yesterday. The Dutchman also hinted that the Tour de France could also feature on his race programme but that he...

Read More
Mercedes happy with my progress
Jan 02

Mercedes happy with my progress

London : Esteban Ocon says Mercedes is happy with the progress he made during his first full year in Formula 1 with Force India. Ocon, who was voted number five in Autosport’s team principals’ top 10 drivers poll, finished eighth in the standings, one place and 13 points behind team-mate Sergio...

Read More