N.Korea rocket test shows 'meaningful progress': South
 
, Posted on 20-Mar-2017


N.Korea rocket test shows 'meaningful progress': South

Seoul : North Korea's latest rocket engine test showed "meaningful progress" in its missile capabilities, Seoul said Monday, as the nuclear-armed state steps up its controversial weapons development programmes. 

The North's leader Kim Jong-Un oversaw the "successful" test of the powerful new rocket engine, state media said Sunday, in a move apparently timed to coincide with a trip to Asia by new US Secretary State Rex Tillerson. 

It was the latest in a series of moves by Pyongyang, which have recently included the firing of four missiles to its east in what it described as practice for an attack on US army bases in Japan.

"The latest test is believed to have made some meaningful progress in engine functions," Seoul's defence ministry spokesman told reporters. 

"But we need more analysis on its exact propulsive power and applicable use," said Lee Jin-Woo.  

The North's last ground test of a high-powered rocket engine -- which can be used in missiles -- was in September last year, and also observed by Kim.

The weekend's experiment came as the top US diplomat wrapped up his trip to Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing, having declared Washington would drop the "failed" approach of "strategic patience" with Pyongyang. 

In Seoul, Tillerson also warned that US military action against Pyongyang was possible -- a sharp divergence from China's insistence on a diplomatic approach to its neighbour, which it has long protected. 

The impoverished, isolated North insists that it needs nuclear and missile weapons for self-defence against "hostile forces", including the US and its ally South Korea. 

It has conducted five nuclear tests since 2006 -- three under Kim Jong-Un -- and launched a number of missiles as it seeks to develop a weapon capable of reaching the US mainland. 

Expert opinions vary on how advanced the North's missile capabilities are, but most agree it has made significant progress in recent years. 

A growing threat from the North has prompted Seoul and Washington to begin installing a powerful US missile defence system in the South -- angering Beijing, which views it as a threat to China's own missile capabilities. 

The deployment of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) has prompted angry protests in China and boycotts of South Korean businesses, and further strained ties between Beijing and Washington.  

AFP


Related News

Weapons stolen from UAE facility in Somalia, sold on open market
Apr 26

Weapons stolen from UAE facility in Somalia, sold on open market

Mogadishu: At least 600 weapons were stolen in the past week from a former United Arab Emirates-run training center in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu and are for sale in the city, weapons dealers said yesterday. The weapons, including new Kalashnikov assault rifles and Chinese versions of them, were stolen by...

Read More
‘Golden cabbage’ leaves  stolen off Vienna landmark
Apr 26

‘Golden cabbage’ leaves stolen off Vienna landmark

Vienna : Thieves have stolen half a dozen of the gilded leaves that make up the famous “golden cabbage” dome on the iconic Secession building in Vienna, police said Wednesday. The Art Nouveau building, completed in 1898, is undergoing restoration and the culprits made use of the scaffolding to...

Read More
North Korea nuclear site collapsed
Apr 26

North Korea nuclear site collapsed

Beijing : North Korea’s underground nuclear test site has partially collapsed following a massive bomb blast last year, making it unusable, Chinese seismologists have concluded. The North’s leader Kim Jong Un declared last week that his regime would halt nuclear and long-range missile tests and shut...

Read More
China warns of more action against Taiwan
Apr 26

China warns of more action against Taiwan

Beijing : A series of Chinese drills near Taiwan were designed to send a clear message to the island and China will take further steps if Taiwan independence forces persist in doing as they please, Beijing said, as Taiwan denounced threats of force. Ma Xiaoguang, spokesman for China’s Taiwan Affairs...

Read More
Trump could visit Britain in July
Apr 26

Trump could visit Britain in July

London : President Donald Trump could possibly come to Britain for a working visit in July, Sky News reported on Wednesday, saying details of the trip were expected to be announced in the next few days. A working visit would be more low-key than a full state visit. Prime Minister Theresa May invited Trump for a...

Read More
Kuwait asks Philippines  ambassador to leave
Apr 26

Kuwait asks Philippines ambassador to leave

Kuwait : Kuwait yesterday ordered the Philippines ambassador to leave within a week and recalled its own envoy for consultations after embassy staff tried to “rescue” Filipino domestic workers amid reports of abuse. In a statement issued, Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry said that it had notified the...

Read More
Kim’s ‘bitter sorrow’ after bus crash
Apr 25

Kim’s ‘bitter sorrow’ after bus crash

Beijing : North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has expressed his “bitter sorrow” after dozens of Chinese tourists were killed when a bus they were travelling in plunged off a bridge. Thirty-two Chinese tourists and four North Koreans perished in the accident south of Pyongyang Sunday night, Chinese...

Read More
Qatar should pay for US troops in Syria: Saudi FM
Apr 25

Qatar should pay for US troops in Syria: Saudi FM

Riyadh : Qatar should pay for the presence of US military forces in Syria, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).  FM Jubeir’s statement came following comments made by US President Donald Trump during a joint press conference with his French...

Read More
Philippines apologizes to Kuwait
Apr 25

Philippines apologizes to Kuwait

Manila : The Philippines yesterday formally apologiaed to Kuwait for actions the latter viewed as violation of its sovereignty after the southeast Asian nation’s embassy “rescued” several overseas workers from employers’ homes, the foreign secretary said. Kuwait had protested over...

Read More
Trump calls Iran deal a ‘disaster’
Apr 25

Trump calls Iran deal a ‘disaster’

Washington : US President Donald Trump has warned Iran of “big problems” if it resumes the nuclear programme it agreed to curb in a 2015 international accord. Speaking in the White House Oval Office as he hosts French President Emmanuel Macron, Trump called the Iran deal “a disaster” and...

Read More