- Oil producers meet on output cuts, possible rollover
- One killed, 14 wounded in Ohio nightclub shooting
- Cities and monuments switch off for Earth Hour
- Blasts kill six as Bangladesh commandos storm Islamist hideout
- Top honour for Gulf Hotel
- Barbar clinch handball title
- Federer, Wawrinka advance in Miami
- Innovative fabrics bark up Tokyo fashion tree
- Kavalani and sons receives ISO 9001: 2015 certification
- Beijing favourite Lam wins Hong Kong leadership
Sex racket: Thai woman detained
By: dt news , Posted on 17-Feb-2017
Manama : A Thai woman accused of forcing fellow country women into prostitution in the Kingdom has been detained for 15 days by the High Criminal Court.
The defendant is accused of deceiving and luring the women to come to Bahrain by giving false job offers. The victims, upon landing in Bahrain, were taken to a hotel in Hoora, locked up and forced into prostitution.
The whole incident came into light only when one of the victims managed to contact Thai Embassy officials in Bahrain.
Speaking about the ordeal, a 27-year-old victim said, “I came to Bahrain after receiving a job offer to work in a massage parlour, which later turned out to be a hoax.”
“I was promised a monthly pay of BD1000. As I hail from a low-income family, I decided take up the offer,” she added.
“She (the defendant) demanded BD600 from us every three days, and when we refused she threatened to leave us in the desert. She also demanded BD1500 to allow us to return home,” she added.