- Today's weather in Bahrain
- Today in Bahrain
- Australia 260 all out as Starc falls early
- Saudi’s first Comic-Con fest cited for ‘violation’
- Police deal with 546 violations
- Tenders awarded for various projects
- Indian author to arrive in Bahrain today
- Driver jailed for traffic violations
- GPIC takes part in Garden Show
- Israel shuts Jerusalem school accused of Hamas links
Sex racket: Thai woman detained
By: dt news , Posted on 17-Feb-2017
Manama : A Thai woman accused of forcing fellow country women into prostitution in the Kingdom has been detained for 15 days by the High Criminal Court.
The defendant is accused of deceiving and luring the women to come to Bahrain by giving false job offers. The victims, upon landing in Bahrain, were taken to a hotel in Hoora, locked up and forced into prostitution.
The whole incident came into light only when one of the victims managed to contact Thai Embassy officials in Bahrain.
Speaking about the ordeal, a 27-year-old victim said, “I came to Bahrain after receiving a job offer to work in a massage parlour, which later turned out to be a hoax.”
“I was promised a monthly pay of BD1000. As I hail from a low-income family, I decided take up the offer,” she added.
“She (the defendant) demanded BD600 from us every three days, and when we refused she threatened to leave us in the desert. She also demanded BD1500 to allow us to return home,” she added.