- GCC Gold Rates
- Bahrain Foreign Exchange Rates
- In new Gorillaz album, dark political vision comes true
- Mexican lawmakers OK marijuana for medicinal purposes
- Mixed success for Chak de India in softball cricket
- DHL’s Annual Memorial Trophy Rugby Match
- Kuwait beat Bahrain by 128 runs
- News Breaker rides to win
- Grooming young talents
- Al-Nuaimi visits school
Sex racket: Thai woman detained
By: dt news , Posted on 17-Feb-2017
Manama : A Thai woman accused of forcing fellow country women into prostitution in the Kingdom has been detained for 15 days by the High Criminal Court.
The defendant is accused of deceiving and luring the women to come to Bahrain by giving false job offers. The victims, upon landing in Bahrain, were taken to a hotel in Hoora, locked up and forced into prostitution.
The whole incident came into light only when one of the victims managed to contact Thai Embassy officials in Bahrain.
Speaking about the ordeal, a 27-year-old victim said, “I came to Bahrain after receiving a job offer to work in a massage parlour, which later turned out to be a hoax.”
“I was promised a monthly pay of BD1000. As I hail from a low-income family, I decided take up the offer,” she added.
“She (the defendant) demanded BD600 from us every three days, and when we refused she threatened to leave us in the desert. She also demanded BD1500 to allow us to return home,” she added.