- ITIL: A framework for IT excellency
- Respect to the Kingdom’s Flag
- MSCEB appoints new Managing Director
- Russian delegation to present special gift to Crown Prince
- Jet Funny Car set for Bahrain debut
- Al Pacino and Oprah Winfrey in Saudi Arabia soon
- AUB records $ 570.6 m net profit
- Car caught on fire in Hoora
- Gulf Air wins 2016 Magellan Awards
- Russia and Bahrain to cooperate in banking and finance
All options now over for convicts
By: dt news , Posted on 10-Jan-2017
Manama : All the legal options are now over for the three defendants convicted in connection with the murder of the three police officers to avoid death sentence as the Cassation Court, Bahrain’s highest court, has rejected their final appeals.
Besides the death of three officers, at least seven others were injured during the detonation, which recorded the highest death toll suffered by security forces in a single attack since the 2011 unrest.
Bahrain’s Interior Ministry said it was one of three blasts in Daih, although two resulted in no injuries. A fourth bomb was discovered and defused. A medical examiner earlier said before the court that injuries incurred by the victim as a result of the attack were caused by projectiles packed inside the explosive device.
He said that the victims died on account of the explosion, explaining that “Mr Al Shehi died due to the projectiles scattered by the bomb, while the other two policemen were killed as a result of the strong impact of the explosive.”
The Bahrainis were also fined a combined total of BD929.661 for the property damages caused by the blast. The defendants - allegedly members of the so-called Saraya Al Ashtar (Al Ashtar Brigade) - constructed 10 home-made explosives, while the third and fourth defendants, aged 24 and 40, planted three of the bombs near a mall in Daih to “kill as many policemen as possible”.
According to prosecutors, the 40-year-old defendant was paid BD1,400 and instructed to buy bomb-making materials, make the explosive, observe policemen and co-ordinate the operation using a wireless telecommunication device.
The 24-year-old was said to have been lying on top of a building to trigger the fatal blast. The first and second defendants were reportedly responsible of forming the group and fuelling it with the required finance to carry out its terrorist activities.
Manama : The High Criminal Court has begun hearing in the case of a 42-year-old man accused of stripping a Bangladeshi man of his clothes before robbing him and leaving him naked. The defendant is said to have lured the man into his home under the pretext of having some work for him. “He robbed my...Read More
Manama : Security authorities yesterday confirmed the arrest of the killer of the police officer Hisham Al Hammadi who was shot dead in Bilad Al Qadeem on January 29. “Ahmed Isa Ahmed Isa Al Mulali, 23, has confessed to murdering officer Al Hammadi, saying he was assigned to do so by Hussain Dawood...Read More
Manama : The High Criminal Court has sentenced a jail inmate to one year’s imprisonment for beating a police officer in Jau Prison. The incident happened while the defendant was serving a jail sentence for a criminal conviction. The victim said that he was assaulted while trying to handcuff the accused...Read More
Manama : Citizens beware! Security authorities in the Kingdom have warned of a new form of cyber crime - online blackmailing. According to Interior Ministry’s Anti-Cybercrime Directorate, social media users are lured by persons with accounts claiming to be Arab females and then leading them into indecent...Read More
Manama : An escapee from the prison died yesterday in the Capital Governorate while attempting to thwart arrest. Abdulla Al Ajouz, 22, succumbed to the wounds he suffered when he fell-down in Nuwaidrat. The man had escaped the Dry Dock Detention Centre last year along with 16 other convicts. Interior Ministry...Read More
Manama : The High Criminal Court has sentenced a man to five years behind bars for stealing BD6 from a car cleaner. The incident happened on September 26, 2012, where the defendant and the other unidentified men assaulted and robbed the cleaner. They also hijacked the car which he was washing. The...Read More
Manama : A Bangladeshi man convicted of smuggling marijuana worth BD30,000 and more than 500 narcotic pills has had his life sentence cut to 10 years, on appeal. However the court upheld his fine of BD5000, which was confirmed by the Supreme Appeals Court. The man was arrested after the police officers...Read More
Manama : The body of an Asian man, suspected to have been drowned, washed ashore on the western coastline of Sitra yesterday, Interior Ministry confirmed. Indian Community Relief Fund (ICRF) Coordinator John Philip confirmed to DT News that the deceased is an Indian national identified as Puneeth Shivarama. He...Read More
Manama : A 15-year-old girl studying in tenth grade in a private school here committed suicide yesterday, according to sources. Ansu Jacob, a class X student of Asian School, hailing from Indian state of Kerala was found dead in her flat by her father yesterday afternoon. The body...Read More
Manama : Despite introducing various schemes to generate more jobs, the rate of unemployment continues to rise in the Kingdom with 4.3 percent more people now seeking work here than at the same time last year, it has emerged. The figures released by officials show that a total of 8485 Bahrainis were left without...Read More