IAAF says 200 Russians named in doping report
 
, Posted on 04-Jan-2017


IAAF says 200 Russians named in doping report

Monaco : The world athletics body said Tuesday that it has been sent the names of 200 Russians by international doping investigators who will be checked if they apply to compete as neutral competitors this year.

The International Association of Athletics Federations said it had been given the names by investigators working for Canadian lawyer Richard McLaren, who has alleged there was a "state-sponsored" dopingsystem in Russia.

As the list of names emerged, IAAF president Sebastian Coe decried a system which he said had "let down" Russian athletes. 

Russia has been suspended from international competition since 2015 and the IAAF said it had sent new criteria to the Russian federation for athletes to take part in international competition as neutrals.

Taking part as neutrals may be the only way for Russians to take part in the world athletics championships in London in August.

"One of the criteria requires athletes to show they are not directly implicated in any way (knowingly or unknowingly) by their national federation's (RUSAF) failure to put in place adequate systems to protect and promote clean athletes," said an IAAF statement.

"The IAAF has been forwarded around 200 names of Russian athletes by the McLaren investigation team and it will assess the evidence and intelligence from the McLaren report and elsewhere in respect of any athlete who applies for neutral athlete status under the guidelines," it added.

Other critieria will include "whether any coach, doctor or other support person with whom the applicant has worked has ever been implicated in the commission of any anti-doping rule violation."

Athletics authorities will also look at how many doping samples have been given by the athlete and the circumstances in which they were given.

Coe had harsh words for those who had pulled the strings in the Russian system. 

“Russian athletes have been let down by a system that should have protected them and celebrated achievements -- not one that created doubt and expulsion from competition.

“We continue to find ways to create parallel and credible systems of independent testing of Russian athletes so they have alternative avenues to get back in to competition whilst we continue to work with RusAF on reinstatement," Coe added.

More than 110 Russians were barred from taking part in the Rio Olympics last August because of the doping storm.

In his latest report released in December, McLaren said that 1,000Russians were involved in the doping system organised by the Russian sports ministry. The Russian government has denied any involvement indoping.

 

AFP


Related News

Xabi Alonso to retire in June
Jan 18

Xabi Alonso to retire in June

Berlin : Spanish World Cup winner and double European champion Xabi Alonso is set to retire at the end of the season when his Bayern Munich contract expires, a report in Germany said. Leaders Bayern kick off the second half of the Bundesliga season at Freiburg on Friday in their bid for a fifth...

Read More
FA examine retrospective diving ban
Jan 17

FA examine retrospective diving ban

London : Players in English football found guilty of diving could face retrospective bans from the Football Association, The Times newspaper reported Tuesday. In neighbouring Scotland, players can received a two-match ban if they are found to have won a significant advantage for their team by tricking the referee by...

Read More
China to cut foreign player numbers on pitch
Jan 16

China to cut foreign player numbers on pitch

Beijing : China said Monday it will cut foreign player numbers in top-flight teams to curb massive spending on overseas talent, with Chelsea's Diego Costa the latest to be linked to a big-money move. Teams in the Chinese Super League will be able to field no more than three foreigners in a match when the new 2017...

Read More
Everton crush city
Jan 16

Everton crush city

London : Pep Guardiola suffered the largest league defeat of his managerial career as Manchester City were thrashed 4-0 by Everton, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s late equaliser gave Manchester United a 1-1 draw with Liverpool yesterday.  Goals from Romelu Lukaku and Kevin Mirallas put Everton in control...

Read More
Borriello  bags brace in Cagliari romp
Jan 16

Borriello bags brace in Cagliari romp

Milan : Roma reject Marco Borriello hit a brace either side of half-time as Cagliari extended injury-hit Genoa’s run of consecutive defeats to five with a 4-1 romp yesterday. Genoa travelled to the Sant’Elia stadium in Sardinia looking for their first win since a shock 3-1 defeat of champions...

Read More
Hernandez scotches transfer talk
Jan 11

Hernandez scotches transfer talk

Berlin : Struggling Bayer Leverkusen striker Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez has scotched reports of a transfer move. According to media reports the club are ready to sell the former Manchester United star who has lost his scoring touch. But the Mexican international said no move was on the...

Read More
48 team 80 matches 32 days
Jan 11

48 team 80 matches 32 days

Zurich : FIFA’s ruling council yesterday unanimously approved an expansion of the World Cup to 48 teams in 2026, in a major coup for the body’s president Gianni Infantino.  In a bid to widen the game’s global appeal and enrich its coffers, the FIFA panel endorsed a format with 16 groups of...

Read More
Ronaldo crowned FIFA best men's player
Jan 10

Ronaldo crowned FIFA best men's player

Zurich : Cristiano Ronaldo was named FIFA's best men's footballer of 2016 on Monday, the latest prize after a glittering year for the Portugal and Real Madrid star. Ronaldo bested France's Antoine Greizmann and long-time Barcelona rival Lionel Messi of Argentina for the honour. Ronaldo had...

Read More
Spurs major obstacle to record bid
Jan 04

Spurs major obstacle to record bid

London : Spurs represent a significant hurdle to overcome if Chelsea are to equal Arsenal's Premier League record of 14 successive wins, said Blues manager Antonio Conte on Tuesday. The 47-year-old Italian -- who took over after he had guided Italy to the Euro 2016...

Read More
West Ham to appeal Feghouli red card
Jan 04

West Ham to appeal Feghouli red card

London : West Ham are to appeal the controversial sending-off of SofianeFeghouli, a spokesman for the Premier League club told Press Association Sport on Tuesday. The 27-year-old Algerian international winger was given a straight redcard by referee Mike Dean for a tackle...

Read More