Djokovic survives scare in Doha season opener
 
, Posted on 03-Jan-2017


Djokovic survives scare in Doha season opener

Doha : Novak Djokovic battled back from 5-1 down against world number 63 Jan-Lennard Struff to claim his first victory of the season at the Qatar Open on Monday.

The world number two lost his opening two service games and struggled with the German's big serves in the early exchanges.

But the Serb rallied in determined fashion to eventually take the first-round match 7-6 (7/1), 6-3.

"It wasn't a great start, I was 1-5 down, it didn't look very good,"Djokovic said after winning in just under 90 minutes.

He attributed his slow start to early-season rustiness rather than any long-term concerns over his form, following a relatively poor second half of the season in 2016.

"I guess I had to get more time to get the engine started. It's the first match of the year, you never know how you're going to start.

"I mean, I was a bit flat on my feet, and Struff, credit to him for playing aggressive, hitting the serves well, and ripping (the) ball from the baseline. 

"But I stayed composed because I knew, I believed that I could find the rhythm, start reading his serve better, and that's what happened."

Djokovic, who is the defending champion in Doha, hit 17 winners but also 20 unforced errors. 

In total, his opponent thundered down nine aces.

The 12-time Grand Slam winner is looking to reclaim his number one ranking from Andy Murray, who is also in Doha, and is the tournament's number one seed.

If matches go to form the rivals will meet in a mouthwatering final on January 7.

Before the tournament, Murray said Djokovic would be his main rival this season, but the Serb said 2017 would be about more than two players.

"We have the return of (Rafael) Nadal and (Roger) Federer that we cannot count out in any circumstances because of their history and results and the quality of players that they are," he said.

Also on Monday there were victories for Dustin Brown, who edged past Argentina's Facundo Bagnis in three sets in the first round of the singles, 6-1, 6-7 (2/7), 6-4.

And number four seed, Belgium's David Goffin, who beat Murray in an exhibition event in Abu Dhabi last week defeated Robin Hasse of the Netherlands, 7-6 (7/4), 6-2.

Murray's begins his attempt to win the Qatar Open, an event he last won in 2009, with a first-round match against France's Jeremy Chardy on Tuesday.

The newly knighted Scotsman though was in action in the doubles on Monday, but he and partner Mariusz Fyrstenberg lost in straight sets to David Marrero and Nenad Zimonjic.

 

 
AFP


Related News

India spinners trigger Sri Lanka ODI batting collapse
Aug 20

India spinners trigger Sri Lanka ODI batting collapse

Dambulla : Indian spinners led by Axar Patel triggered a Sri Lankan batting collapse after a strong start, restricting them to 216 in the first one-day international on Sunday. Opener Niroshan Dickwella's 74-ball 64 took Sri Lanka to 139-1 in the 25th over before their implosion in Dambulla. The hosts were...

Read More
Nadal returns to No. 1 with heavy heart over Barcelona
Aug 19

Nadal returns to No. 1 with heavy heart over Barcelona

Cincinnati : Spain's Rafael Nadal, who returns to the world number one ranking on Monday for the first time in three years, remains "destroyed" by the terror attacks that rocked his homeland. Nadal was upset by Australia's Nick Kyrgios in a Friday quarter-final at the WTA and ATP Cincinnati...

Read More
Nadal's advice for injured stars -- accept, keep going
Aug 17

Nadal's advice for injured stars -- accept, keep going

Cincinnati : Once and future world number one Rafael Nadal has some advice for men's tennis stars in danger of missing the US Open due to injury -- accept it and keep going. The 31-year-old Spaniard defeated France's Richard Gasquet 6-3, 6-4 on Wednesday to reach the third round at the ATP Cincinnati...

Read More
Ronaldo’s appeal rejected
Aug 17

Ronaldo’s appeal rejected

Madrid : Cristiano Ronaldo blasted his treatment by the Spanish Football Federation as “persecution” after his appeal against a five-game ban was rejected yesterday. The World Player of the Year will miss the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup against Barcelona later on Wednesday (kick off 2100GMT)...

Read More
China Under-20 team to play in German league
Aug 16

China Under-20 team to play in German league

Beijing : China's Under-20 team will play matches in the fourth tier of German football this season as part of a drive to ramp up the fortunes of the much-maligned national side. China's Communist government, led by football fan President Xi Jinping, is throwing money at the sport in hopes of ending years of...

Read More
Seferovic lifts Benfica
Aug 16

Seferovic lifts Benfica

Lisbon : Portuguese champions Benfica needed a stoppage-time strike from summer signing Haris Seferovic to secure a 1-0 win away to Chaves in their second outing of the new campaign on Monday. The Swiss international forward turned in a Rafa Silva assist in the 92nd minute to make it two wins from two outings...

Read More
Berdych joins Team Europe
Aug 16

Berdych joins Team Europe

Prague : Swedish tennis star Bjorn Borg said yesterday he had picked world number fifteen Tomas Berdych for Team Europe facing Team World at September’s inaugural Laver Cup in Prague. “Tomas signalled early he wanted to be part of this innovative new tournament and I’m delighted he will be...

Read More
Sharapova receives US Open wildcard for first post-ban Slam
Aug 16

Sharapova receives US Open wildcard for first post-ban Slam

New York : Five-time major champion Maria Sharapova of Russia will play her first Grand Slam event since serving a 15-month doping suspension after receiving a wildcard Tuesday into the US Open. The move by the US Tennis Association (USTA) comes after Sharapova, ranked 148th this week, was rejected for a...

Read More
Kasparov suffers first loss in comeback event
Aug 16

Kasparov suffers first loss in comeback event

St. Louis : Chess legend Garry Kasparov on Tuesday suffered the first loss of his brief but highly anticipated comeback to the game, succumbing to fellow Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi and bringing his draw total to five. After three draws on Monday, the 54-year-old former world champion -- who dominated...

Read More
Philippine fighters at risk in brain scan scam
Aug 15

Philippine fighters at risk in brain scan scam

Manila : A total of 150 professional boxers in the Philippines have been banned for falsifying brain scan results aimed at detecting serious head injuries in the sport, regulators said Tuesday. The government has been imposing strict medical testing procedures following the deaths of several Filipino boxers...

Read More