A Houthi communications centre controlling drones has been destroyed, the Arab coalition supporting the legitimate government in Yemen said yesterday. The location of the drone control centre was formerly occupied by a Yemeni communications company but was then taken over by Houthi militia who turned it into an operations centre.
On Thursday, six people were killed when the Houthis exploded a drone above a military parade in Lahaj province. The United States on Friday “strongly condemned” the attack at Al Anad Air Base, which jeopardises a ceasefire for the port of Hodeidah agreed at talks in Sweden last month. “This attack contravenes the spirit of the Hodeidah ceasefire and the progress made last month at the UN-led talks in Sweden,” the State Department said.
“We urge all sides to honour the commitments they made in Sweden to their fellow Yemenis by refraining from violence and provocative acts.” The escalation came after the UN envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths this week warned: “substantial progress” was needed on the ground before full-blown negotiations could be launched on ending the civil war. Britain on Friday presented a UN Security Council draft resolution that would expand the international observer mission monitoring the Hodeidah ceasefire and allow humanitarian aid to reach millions.